Thursday, June 5, 2014

Chapter One Hundred One

To:     The Girls
From: Q
Re:     Catching Up

OMG girls, so much has been going on I don’t even know where to start.

I guess I should start by apologizing for being absent for so long.  Things have been so crazy here I am just now starting to find my feet again. 

So, let’s see, way back in July (while we were in Europe) I got a phone call from my real estate agent who helped me find the house I was renting in Burbank.  Guess what?  The guys I was renting from wanted to move back.  Apparently the job wasn’t all it was cracked up to be so they wanted to come back to Cali and back to their house.  There was a whole lot of back and forth about that and when all was said and done, I was out of the house, they were back in and I got most of my money back.  Needless to say, Habitat got a nice donation.

Where am I living now you ask?  Well, Richie took me in.  And not without a whole lot of drama on my end.  I never imagined myself to be overly dramatic, but man, if you had looked up drama queen in the dictionary last month, you surely would have found my picture next to the definition.  *eye roll* *forehead slap*

So, after a slight hitch in our git-along (read that as nearly two weeks where we didn’t see each other and barely spoke to each other) I am now firmly ensconced in his house and all is well.  He even took me off to Hawaii for a short break before I start my next Habitat project tomorrow.  All I can say about that is, if you ever get the chance to go, do it.  Don’t hesitate, just do it.  And Hath, the flight, while long, is totally worth it.  You could even break it up and stop in LA and stay with us before doing the short jaunt to the islands. 

And now, for my last bit of news (and no, I’m not pregnant) I attached a couple of pictures, one of which is the ring that Richie gave me while we were in Hawaii.  Per him, it’s not an engagement ring, but a promise/commitment ring.  We haven’t talked marriage and, honestly, I don’t know if I want to get married again.  He says he does, but he hasn’t put a time limit on it and he’s not pressuring me about it either.  There hasn’t been any mention from him about babies either.  I think I’m okay with that too.  I’m 42, he’s 52, isn’t that too old to be thinking about babies?  As much as I loved being a mom, I’m not sure I want to go down that road again.  

I guess Rich and I need to have a sit down to figure these things out.  See where each other’s heads are at.  But there’s plenty of time for all of it.

So, that’s everything that has been going on.  I hope you and your families are all well.  If you ever want to come visit (and I truly hope you do) the door is always open.

Miss and love you all.

Q

~

Taking off her gloves, Stephanie pulled the bandana from her back pocket and wiped the sweat from her forehead.  How did she always manage to be working on the roof when it was a billion degrees outside?  She pulled her water from her tool box and downed half of it one long swallow.  Jesus it was hot.  She finished the water and tossed the bottle back in her tool box. She’d have to go down and get another one soon.  She glanced around, the project was going well.  With the roof nearly finished she’d be able to work inside soon.  That would be welcome after working out in the heat the last few days.  Her gaze landed on Kyle and Derek.  The two guys who had worked her over outside the sports bar after the Yankee/Angels game back in June.  Why were they just standing around?

“Hey!”

Two heads turned toward her, “yeah, what?”

They really needed to check the attitude at the door.  “We need some more shingles up here.  Go down and get the rest of the bundles and the rolls of underlayment, please.  And if you don’t mind, could you grab me another bottle of water?”

They mocked saluted her, “yes ma’am” and headed down the ladder. 

She shook her head and rolled her eyes to the sky.  Why had she thought this would be a good idea?  Pulling her gloves back on she grabbed her hammer, maybe she’d use it on them if they didn’t cut the crap.

By the end of the day she was hot, sweaty and more than a little grimy.  She climbed into her truck looking forward to going home and taking an hour long shower.  She had just put the key in the ignition when the rap on her window startled her.  She cracked open the window, “what do you want?”

Before she could hit the button and lock the doors, Kyle had it open and he was tugging her out.  “Come out here.  We need to talk to you.”  His grip on her arm tightened and he pulled harder.

She reached back as she was being pulled from the truck.  Her fingers found the pepper spray she kept in the cup holder.  It wasn’t much of a weapon, but it was better than nothing.

Fear clenched in her belly and a cold sweat added another layer to the grime on her skin.  This couldn’t be happening again.  Digging deep and with her finger on the button of the pepper spray, she found her resolve.  Looking them in the eye she asked again, “what do you want?”

She saw Kyle flex and before she could dodge it, his fist slammed into her stomach.  “You bitch.  This is your fault, you know.  We didn’t have to be here doing our community service with you bossing us around and embarrassing us in front of everyone by having us wait on you hand and foot.”  He reared back to hit her again and got a face full of pepper spray for his troubles.  “FUCK!”

She turned to Derek, spray aimed and ready.  “You want some too?”

He held his hands up in defense, “no way.”  He looked down at his friend who was writhing on the ground.  “He deserved that.  I told him to leave you alone.  But when he gets his mad on, he doesn’t listen to anyone.”

Stephanie managed to get back into her truck and locked the doors.  “I’m calling the police.  Don’t let him leave, please.”

Two hours later she parked her truck and let herself into Richie’s house.  She still didn’t feel right calling it hers.  Leaving her boots in the mudroom she stopped in the kitchen for something to drink.  She winced as she downed the cold water.  Setting her glass in the sink she rubbed her stomach.  Cramps, great.  My period is just what I need after the day I had.  She trudged up the stairs, a hot shower sounding better with every step she took.

“Hey.”  Richie came out of the office in time to see her heading up the stairs.

She turned and smiled wanly at him.  “Hey.”

He climbed to where she was and gave her a quick kiss on the lips as they headed toward the bedroom together.  “Rough day?”

She stripped down to her underwear and dumped her filthy clothes in the hamper.  “You don’t even know the half of it.”  She turned and he saw the bruise that had bloomed on her stomach.

“Damn it Stephanie, what the hell happened?!”  Fuck, that had to have come from one of the guys doing their community service work with her.  He knew having those two idiots doing their penance with her was a bad idea.

She moved into the bathroom and started the shower while she unloaded her day on him.  “After Kyle hit me I nailed him with the pepper spray you gave me and called the cops.  He’s in jail for now and I have an emergency order of protection against him.  He will be serving out his community service elsewhere.”  She rubbed her stomach again and searched the medicine cabinet for an Advil, Tylenol, something to ease the pain of the cramps. 

“Why didn’t you call me?”  He watched her find the pills she was looking for and take a couple.

“There wasn’t anything you could have done, Rich.”  She peeled off her underwear and dropped her bra to the floor, “I’m fine, except that I need a shower and some food.”  She kissed his cheek.  “Don’t be mad.”  She could see him working up to it.  “I really am fine.”

He watched her shower.  He had watched her take those pills, hadn’t missed her hand moving over the bruised area of her stomach more than once.  He knew she wasn’t as fine as she was trying to make him believe.

The hot water felt glorious as it poured over her tired, achy body.  The soap and shampoo felt nearly as good as the hot water.  Now if only these freaking cramps would ease up, she’d be nearly one hundred percent.  Glancing down, she saw the hint of red mixing with the foamy soap suds as it slid down the drain.  Shit.  She needed to get out and get dried off.  She reached for the taps and her hand clenched on the hot water handle, her grip white from the sudden cramping pain in her abdomen.  She took a deep breath, then another and managed to get the water shut off.  A third breath and she got the doors open and reached for a towel.  “Rich?”

He turned in time to catch her as she pitched forward, “whoa, Sweetheart, what’s wrong?”

She leaned heavily against him and when her knees buckled he lowered them both to the floor.  Her head lolled on his shoulder.  “I don’t think I’m fine.”

He looked down in time to see her eyes flutter closed and by the way she slumped bonelessly against him he knew she had passed out.  “Sweetheart?”  He nudged her, shaking her a little trying to get her to wake up.  Then he noticed the pool of blood slowly growing underneath her.  “Oh shit!”






Go here if you'd like to see the ring Richie gave to Stephanie.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! I think I know what's wrong with Stephanie but I'm hoping it is not that! Please come back and tell us what's going on soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no| please tell me steph didn't miscarry a baby? please please give us a chapter really soon to let us know what's going on, great chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope! Nope! Nope!
    Not happening! She can't possibly lose another child! Life can't be THAT cruel?!?! Right Queenie?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no!!! I hope she didn't miscarry. I can't believe we have to wait for an answer. Though, if she didn't miscarry something serious could be wrong....

    I am soo not a patient person. I really want to know.... NOW LOL.

    ReplyDelete