Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Chapter Sixty-Eight

“No mom.”  Stephanie dropped the towel in the hamper on her way out of her work-out room as she listened to her mother on the other end of the phone.
 
“I’m sure, mom.  Our flight gets in at 6 and we’re picking up our rental car and heading to the hotel before we come by.  We should be to your house around 7:30 or so.”
 
Her mother wasn’t happy that they weren’t staying at the house.  “Are you sure you don’t want to stay with us?  We have plenty of room.”
 
Stephanie sighed for the umpteenth time.  It wasn’t that she minded staying with her parents, she just didn’t want to put Richie through that.  Her parents’ house had one full bathroom and one powder room.  And while the house had four bedrooms, the one they considered the “guest” room was right next to her parent’s room.  No way was that happening.  Uh uh.
 
She sat down on the edge of her bed, toeing off her sneakers and resting her elbows on her knees.  “I’m sure mom.  It’ll be better all the way around if do it this way.”  Turning her head she noticed a pair of brown loafers in the doorway.  Raising her head she found the loafers were attached to two long, jean-clad legs.  Her eyes ventured further north and landed on Richie’s smiling face.  Her mother prattling in her ear brought her attention back to the phone in her hand.  “Look mom, I have to go” she looked back at Richie.  “Someone is at my door.  We’ll see you soon.”  She nodded her head.  “Uh huh.  Love you too mom.  Bye.”
 
She ended the call and dropped the phone on the night table before collapsing back on the bed.  “I’ve come to the conclusion that this trip was a bad idea.”
 
Richie crossed the room and sat down next to her.  “Come on, sweetheart.  It can’t be that bad.”
 
She looked at him, frustration and annoyance warring for purchase on her face.  “I’ve talked to my mother no less than a dozen times since I told her we were coming for a visit and every time she tries to convince me we should stay with them and we should let them drive us around and...”  she stopped at his chuckle and rolled away from him and got off the bed.  “I’m glad you find this so amusing.” 
 
Her watched her pull off her socks and tossed them into the hamper.  “I’m sorry Sweetheart.  I know it’s not funny, but...”
 
She crossed her arms over her chest and glared at him.  “But what?”
 
He got up from the bed and came to stand in front of her.  “Mother’s guilt is the worst, isn’t it?”
 
Even she couldn’t help but smile at that.  “I’m just glad she’s not Catholic.” 
 
He chuckled and pulled her arms from her chest so he could hold her hands.  “No?”
 
Stephanie shook her head.  “No, she’s German.  My dad is the Italian.”  She held up her hand when he would have spoken again.  “No, he’s not Catholic either, but damn do they have the guilt thing down.”
 
Richie pulled her close, wrapping his arms around her.  “I’m sure they mean well, sweetheart.”  He ran his hands up and down her arms.  Her skin was cool and tacky to the touch.  He looked down at her, realizing she had her work-out clothes on.  “Did you finish your work out before you got bombarded?”
 
“Yeah” she sighed.  “I just didn’t do my cool down.”  She shrugged, “it’s okay.”  She stepped back and pulled the band from her hair, letting it fall down around her shoulders. She dropped the stretchy hair tie on her dresser.  “Is it weird?”
 
His brow furrowed.  “Is what weird?”
 
She crossed the room and sat on the window seat and ran her fingers through her hair, shaking it out.  “This meet the parents’ thing.”  She paused until he sat down opposite her on the bench seat.  “I mean, how old are we and still we have to go through this?”  Well, she thought, he did.  He hadn’t said anything to her about meeting Joan.  Yet.
 
He massaged the back of his neck while deciding how to answer.  “It’s been a long time since a girl brought me home to meet her parents, but its’ not so weird.”  He dropped his hand from his neck and picked up hers.  “I’m more concerned about what they’re going to think of me.  If they’re going to compare me to your Mark.”  They had been together a long time and his death had left a big hole in their family.  It wouldn’t be easy to step into his place and to be honest, he was more than a little nervous about it.
 
She studied him for a long moment and understanding dawned in her.  “You have nothing to be worried about” she reassured him.  “My parents aren’t like that.  They don’t judge and they won’t compare you to Mark.”  Hopefully.  A smile curved her lips.  “You may have to watch out for Jess and Marie, my sister and sister-in-law though.”
 
His brows raised in faux concern.  “Oh, and why’s that?”  He was reasonably sure he knew the answer, but he had to ask anyway.
 
Stephanie’s smile widened.  “They’re fans.  It could go one of two ways, they’ll either be struck dumb and won’t say a word to you, or they’ll be stuck to you like Velcro.” 
 
He laughed at her description.  At this point in his career, he’d seen just about every reaction a person could possibly have.  It wouldn’t be a problem.  “I’ll just be my usual, charming self, it’ll be fine.”  He tugged her across the bench so she was sprawled against his chest.   Dipping his head he stole a kiss.  “You wanna add a few extra days to the trip?”
 
She quirked an eyebrow, “why?”
 
“I was thinking about going to see my mother while we’re out on the other coast.  How about we get the parent thing done all at once?”  He had been planning on stopping in Jersey to see his mother before he headed to Croatia to meet up with the guys, but maybe it would be better if he did it now and took her with him.
 
She looked up at him, his brown eyes were full of warmth and sincerity.  “I’d like that.  I just need to be back here to start the next Habitat project.”

He lowered his mouth to hers.  “Not a problem, but that leads me to my next question.”
 
“Oh” she asked between kisses, “what’s that?” 

He smiled wickedly and readjusted her so she sat across his lap.  “What are your plans for the month of July?”

1 comment:

  1. Yay! New chapter. I think I agree w/Stephanie. Shouldn't there be an age limit on having to "meet the parent(s)"? And can't you just see them either having to be reeeeal quiet or going without if they stayed with her folks? Nope, me either. Great story, please hurry back with more!!

    ReplyDelete