Monday, October 1, 2012

Chapter Fifty-Nine

Stephanie swiveled back and forth in her chair waiting for her report to finish printing.  Her eyes landed on the tote bag she had brought back from Las Vegas.  The few possessions she’d had in and on her desk were tucked away inside, ready to be taken back home.  She just had to put this last report on her boss’s desk and she was done.  She had taken Richie’s advice.  As of today, she no longer had a job.  Starting Monday, she was going to be a fulltime volunteer for Habitat for Humanity.  Her lips curled into a small smile at that thought and she sent up a silent thank you to Mark for giving her the tools to be able to give back, even a little.

She had been back from Las Vegas for nearly three weeks.  The first thing she had done when she got back to work was talk to Linda, her boss.  She thanked her profusely for the offer of the promotion and for the opportunity to do the job she had been doing, but that she was turning the promotion down and resigning her position at International Creative Management.

She swiveled back to look out the window.  She hadn’t talked to her friends in a while.  So much had happened.  So much was about to happen.  She swiveled back to the computer and got on her email.  She had a lot of news to share.

To:  The Girls
From:  Q
Re:  News

Boy do I have stuff to tell you all.  So much has happened I’m not even sure where to start, but here goes.  Valentines Day in Toronto was amazing.  I know I sent the video of “Superman” but I think that’s the last I talked to you all.  I attached some pics, including my V-Day present from Richie.  (I’ll get to him in a minute).  I went to Vegas just a few weeks ago too.  Had a blast.  Won some $$ playing the slots, saw a spectacular Cirque show.  Oh, that band I went to see, Bon Jovi, they were good too.  LOL

Now, on to the real news.  I quit my job when I came back from Vegas.  Richie and I had a long talk about a lot of stuff and he wondered why I would work at a job if I wasn’t passionate about what I was doing.  The more I thought about it, the more I realized he had a point.  So, after a few phone calls and one meeting with my boss, I’m going to be volunteering full time with Habitat out here.  I really enjoyed the last project I worked on and, this way, someone who really needs a job can have the one I’m leaving behind.  It also gives me more flexibility to travel when and if I want to.

Oh, and yes, I've seen the pictures of Richie and me here and all over the web.  I’m happy to report that the paps still haven't figured out who I am and I hope it stays that way.  I don't need them digging around in my life, thank you very much.  Although, I’m pretty sure the reprieve won’t last long.  (I attached a picture of the two of us that David snapped after the Vegas show.  I think its way better than any of those pap shots, just sayin'.)

What I'm about to tell you now, girls, cannot be repeated.  I know ya'll aren't blabbermouths, but I had to emphasize that point anyway cause this is that big.  It's about Richie.  He's going back to rehab.  He's going to miss a bunch of shows too.  He’s doing another 30 day stint.  He’s been drinking a lot again and he’s really ready right now to go and get dried out.  I didn’t force him, or talk him into anything.  He was more than ready to make the decision on his own.  All I did was ask him to get the help he so desperately seemed to need.  I’m not sorry he’s doing it.  I’m just sorry he’d going to miss the shows.  So is he.  But, he needs to do this.  He even said so himself.  Don’t worry though, no shows will be canceled.  He had a long talk with Jon about all this.  They’re getting someone to fill in for the shows Richie is going to miss.  It’s just important right now for Richie to get healthy.

That brings me to my next bit of news.  It’s about Richie.  And me.  You all have to know he’s the sweetest, kindest guy with a generous heart and a gentle soul.  He makes me laugh, comforts me and has an uncanny ability to read my moods better than anyone ever has.  I think even maybe better than Mark ever did.  He’s wonderful and he treats me like a queen.  

Here’s the kicker, though.  He told me he loves me while we were in Vegas.  He shocked me so bad, that I didn’t/couldn’t say it back.  I still haven’t.  He said it was okay if I didn’t say anything, but I could see the disappointment on his face when I didn’t.  I’m just not sure I can say the words to him.  I’ve never said them to anyone other than Mark.  It kind of scares me to think about saying them to someone else.  But I do love him.  I didn’t think I’d ever feel like this again, didn’t think I wanted to be in love with anyone again, but I am.  I just don’t know how to tell him.

She glanced up from the computer screen.  The printer was quiet and Darcy was standing in the doorway.  “You’re really leaving?”

Stephanie nodded her head.  “Yeah.  This job was what I needed when I came out here, but it’s not what I need now.”  She grabbed the papers from the printer.  “Does that make sense?”

Darcy cocked her head and thought for a minute.  “Yeah, I think so.”   She moved farther into Stephanie’s office.  “We still on for dinner tonight?”

“Yeah” Stephanie answered.  “I hope we can still be friends, Darcy.  I still don’t know too many people out here.”

Darcy smiled, “absolutely.  You’re the best girlfriend I’ve got.”

Stephanie felt her eyes start to sting with tears and the last thing she wanted to do was cry.  “Okay, I’ve got a couple things left to do before I’m done here.  I’ll meet you at Portofino Cucina at 7?”

Darcy nodded and headed for the door.  “Jim’s coming too.  Is that all right?”

“Sure” Stephanie agreed with a smile.  “The more the merrier.”  She couldn’t say no.  Jim had finally seen the error of his ways and asked Darcy out.  They’d been a couple for a month now and Darcy had never been happier.

Darcy left and Stephanie sat back down at her computer to finish her email before dropping her report on the boss’s desk.  

I guess I have a lot to think about and, I gave you all a lot to read.  One last final note, the sex is off the charts amazing.  Everything we’ve ever heard about Richie is true, and then some. Yes, the harlot is alive and well in me.  ;)

Love you all and I promise to be better about keeping in touch.

Q

Checking her files, she made sure she didn’t leave anything personal on the computer.  She shut it down, shut the printer off and gathered her things.  Come Monday, this office would belong to someone else and she would be starting over once again.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know why but this kinda sounds like its wrapping up! Please tell me this isn't so! I'm really loving this story! I'm always excited for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another great chapter, Queenie! Love to see her taking Richie's advice, but I was hoping she would be less confused and worried about her feelings by now. Wondering how she's going to fare with the rehab stint.... Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete